STMicroelectronics LRWAN2 Gateway

Hi All,

I am quite new to LoRa so if I am in the wrong forum area I do apologise. If anyone has any information based on my issues below I would appreciate a reply.

I have followed the setup guide from STMicroelectronics for the P-Nucleo-LRWAN2: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/st/UM2587_Rev1pub.pdf
This is my Terminal window for the gateway:
I can send it AT commands so I know it’s there and active
This is my console for the gateway that says not connected:
I have loaded the following bin file to the gateway: st-nucleo-lora-gw-at-fw-v2.1.7-eu868-TTN.bin
I have loaded the I-NUCLEO_LRWAN1 with the AT_Master firmware as instructed.

So my questions are:
1: how do i get my gateway to be connected
2: do i need to use at commands on the I-Nucleo to communicate through it
3: how do i know if the I-Nucleo is sending it data?
4: how do i know if the gateway is receiving any data?

Kind Regards,
Paddy

Did you pay attention to this instruction when settng up for TTN

provide the necessary gateway information after checking the [I’m using the legacy packet forwarder*]checkbox*

I believe this uses the UDP based PF (per last 2 lines) which doesnt allow for ‘useful’ names such as “rtrgateway1” for GW ID rather just names of the form eui-xxxxxxxx - in your case I suspect should be eui-080027ffff0c2338 looking at your screen shot (Please do not post pictures of screen shots but capture and post formatted text)

I think it may be mis-registered…try registering with correct name and EUI/GW ID

Good luck :+1:

Do you have any nodes sending packets it should be receiving?

Does it give any indication of having received and submitted a packet?

Or a stats message?

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for getting back to me. I re-registered the gateway and this is my result but I get the same result, could there be an issue with the company firewall maybe?:
In Tera Term I can still send AT commands:
/// /// /// /// _/ / /// _/ / ///
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ // _/ _/ _/ _/ /
//
/ _/ // _/ _/ / / / // //// ///
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ // _/ _/ _/ _/ /
/ / /// /// //
/ _/ / /// _/ _/ _/

Powered by RisingHF & STMicroelectronics

VERSION: 2.1.7, Nov  6 2018
           LOG: OFF
       AT ECHO: ON
      BAUDRATE: 115200bps
       MACADDR: 08:00:27:0C:23:38
      ETHERNET: DHCP
          DNS1: 114.114.114.114
          DNS2: 8.8.8.8
    NTP SERVER: 1.ubuntu.pool.ntp.org
   EUI PADDING: {3, FF}, {4, FF}
    GATEWAY ID: 080027FFFF0C2338
       LORAWAN: Public
LORAWAN SERVER: router.eu.thethings.network

UPLINK UDP PORT: 1700
DOWNLINK UDP PORT: 1700
CHANNEL0: 867100000, A, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL1: 867300000, A, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL2: 867500000, A, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL3: 867700000, A, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL4: 867900000, A, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL5: 868100000, B, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL6: 868300000, B, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL7: 868500000, B, SF7/SF12, BW125KHz (LORA_MULTI_SF)
CHANNEL8: 868300000, B, SF7, BW250KHz (LORA_STANDARD)
CHANNEL9: 868800000, B, 50Kbps (FSK)

Concentrator starting…
Concentrator Radio A type SX1257
Concentrator Radio B type SX1257
Concentrator started (2926ms)
ST LoRa GW V2
Ethernet starting…
Ethernet started
DHCP IP: 192.168.1.2
Downlink UDP Connected
Uplink UDP Connected

In the Console I am still disconnected:

GATEWAY OVERVIEW

settings

Gateway ID

eui-080027ffff053e34

Description

LRWAN2 Gateway

Owner

paddyronan Transfer ownership

Status

not connected

Frequency Plan

Europe868MHz

Router

ttn-router-eu

Gateway Key

·····································································································

base64

Last Seen

Received Messages

Transmitted Messages

INFORMATION

edit info

Brand

Model

Antenna

edit location

Antenna Placement

indoor

Altitude

-200 dB

-100 dB

PRIVACY

edit privacy

Status

public

public

Owner

public

Hi,

I have the I-NUCLEO-LWRAN1 Sensor Expansion board that comes with the LRWAN2 Gateway. I followed the instructions for setting this up too as outlined in the getting started document: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/st/UM2587_Rev1pub.pdf
This is all very new to me but am i right in assuming if my gateway is not connected I wont see data from my end node device either?
Is there a way to test the connection between the gateway and the end node without being connected to the internet?

DEVICE OVERVIEW

Application ID

rtrapplication1

Device ID

rtrdevice1

Description

I-Nucleo-Lrwan1

Activation Method

OTAA

Device EUI

E24F43FFFE44BE11

Application EUI

BC95EF9AA9DF9ED8

App Key

································

Device Address

2601225A

Network Session Key

App Session Key

Status

24 minutes ago

Frames up

0reset frame counters

Frames down

APPLICATION DATA

pause clear

Filters

uplink downlink activation ack error

time counter port

If I suspect a corp firewall issue I usually quickly drop any WiFi enabled GW’s on to a mobile data tether on my phone or a field spare ( I carry several registered to different networks to allow for spotty coverage just in case :wink: ) as a quick check…can u do that with your phone?

update: ignore just remembered no WiFi on this… last time I had to do that was with a Dragino LPS8 where I was working with enterprise entet but fell back to WiFi’s for firewall test!

Where in world are you? Expectation is close to me and certainly in Europe given freq & router choice (& name if not presumptious) but see your 1st dns is away on China Net! Promote the google 8.8.8.8 to 1st dns and maybe populated 2nd with another or leave blank (perhaps 1.1.1.1 or dyndns or something?! Other than potentially behind the Great Firewall of China :wink:

Hi Jeff,

Good detective work there :grin:. I’m based in Limerick, Ireland.
Yeah so no WiFi on this gateway, I presume I will find a change command in the AT referance manual to change the 1st and 2nd DNS.
I’ll get back to you shortly thanks.

Hi Jeff,
So DNS1 & DNS2 changed as suggested: