What gateways do you mainly use for outdoors and why?

I wanted to ask before purchasing large amount of gateways for multiple location setup. I thought it would be great to ask and learn more about what products in use and how gateways satisfying your needs.

Please let me know it would be helpful for me.

Mikrotik, price and features.

I suspect it may be easier for you to ask about gateways that satisfy your needs - unless you are asking for our own welfare :wink:

So, tell us about the locations you are going to put the outdoor gateways, what conditions they are going to be in, connectivity, mobile coverage etc.

Do they need to be:

Weatherproof
Monsoon proof
Hot & humid proof
Theft proof
Vandal proof

How many is a large amount? Because for a large amount you may want to get a custom case. Or a custom setup / GUI.

Do you need remote management (answer yes, or learn to cope with misery).

Tell us more, otherwise you just get what suits a whole pile of individuals.

I would start with:

• How you want to connect it to the Internet? If that’s going to be something like LTE, which exact provider?

• Does the gateway itself have to be outside, or just the antennas?

• How you want to power it

• What is your budget for equipment vs what does it cost you to visit the gateway for hands-on maintenance

1 Like

Thank you for a reply.

Absolutely, to make it more based on cases,

I would say two cases:
First one, our client located is another country and we don’t have opportunity to visit them so often. We want to provide our services with low latency and less interruptions, also ability to fully do administration of gateways remotely without any additional headaches.

Second one, our partner for local gateway management and further replacement of end devices with less knowledge of gateway configuration.

Thank you for your reply,

LTE is great idea, would you mind if I ask more question on that?

Are you able to remotely manage and do administration of gateways and to what extent to make sure gateways are ready in future changes and reconfigurations?

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely research on it further.

First let me point out that this means you need a gateway that supports an LTE modem that works with your desired provider, has modem management software/scripts that make it work right and comply with the carriers rules, and ideally is going to be able to have the modem upgraded if those needs/rules change.

That would primarily be a function of the software installed on the gateway. If you’re able to build and deploy a new complete custom Linux image, you have maximum flexibility, otherwise you may be limited to whatever remote access or upgrade or vendor-mediated management they built in.

So that’s a yes for remote management.

How about the other considerations mentioned?

It seems like you want to about other features about mcCloud providing. It would be good to talk over email and schedule some meetings to talk over to find out feasibility.

My email: jam@cattlescan.ca

I was noting that you’d rapidly narrowed discussion to remote access when there are a whole world of considerations for an external gateway as I outlined in my first reply.

Mostly on here we’re all about helping each other out, so it hadn’t particularly crossed my mind about any consultancy.

I’m using Mikrotik LR8, works great and the price ist almost unbeatable.