V3 Nodes - Prevent connecting V2

Hi,

Are there a way of preventing V3 Nodes to connect via V2 gateways?

I need to send a downlink to my V3 Node but it keeps on connecting to a V2 gateway. My experience is that downlink don’t flow from V3 application to V2 gateway to V3 node.

My V3 gateway is with in 100m and the RSSI is -70, the V2 gateway is about 4Km and the RSSI is -114 and I have no control over the V2 gateway.

Thank you

Nodes just broadcast - what hears them is out of their control.

Gateways just listen - if the basic CRC check is passed, they forwarded it to the network server - they don’t decide.

Only the network server can choose which gateway is the most appropriate for a downlink for a device.

I’ve rather lost track of if a v3 device can receive a downlink via a v2 gateway, I can go and try that in a minute but even so, you need to find a way to influence the network servers choice.

No because nodes do not connect to a gateway, LoRaWAN is not WiFi. As Nick explained all gateways that receive and forward the traffic will be considered for downlinks by the back-end.

Do you have control over the node as in, are you able to shield the direction of the V2 gateway so signal in that direction will drop in RSSI?

I have tried shielding it behind buildings and landscape, don’t want to use metal objects, as I don’t like reflected power back into the RX.

I get the closest V2 gateway down to -114 at best.

SO maybe I need to look at what ells I can us to absorber some of the TX power.

What about reducing the TX-power of the node by 20dB?

Or using a 20dB attenuator between node and antenna?

Can you name what you are missing? I think the V2 to V3 migration may complicate things at the moment but I’m not missing anything in V3 myself. Yes, things are different and work is required (try owning 15 gateways where some are still inaccessible so moving them to V3 won’t happen for some time) I think V3 provides the solid foundation we need for the next 5 (or more) years.

Just tried the test setup that I can control in a shielded cellar with the only the screams of naughty forum members for me to ignore.

Unplugged the v3 gateway. A device on test was triggered to uplink. Uplink received by only one gateway on packet broker (aka the v2 gateway). Queued config command on console. Triggered uplink and watched serial log whilst downlink came in & was acted on. Checked still only v2 gateway.

TL;DR: A v3 device can receive downlinks from a v2 gateway.

The v3 device has a Murata module on it so I guess it is about as compliant as it’s going to get.

What next:

• Can you tell us what the device is - MCU / radio / firmware version.
  • Can you confirm your local gateway is online and seeing traffic?
  • Do you have any other devices in the area that you can try a downlink on?
1 Like
  1. Abeeway Micro tracker -
version_ids: object
brand_id: "abeeway"
model_id: "abeeway-micro-tracker"
hardware_version: "3.0"
firmware_version: "2.1"
band_id: "EU_863_870"
  1. I assume it if the gateway appears in in the JSON coming from the application in TTN it is up and can carry traffic, I also assume if it is the first object in the array, the packet followed that path.
0: object
gateway_ids: object
gateway_id: "on-the-hill-01"
eui: "00800000A000104F"
timestamp: 3335915236
rssi: -56
channel_rssi: -56
snr: 9
uplink_token: "ChwKGgoOb24tdGhlLWhpbGwtMDESCACAAACgABBPEOSN2LYMGgwIxZzdhgYQ9Iy8zQIgoNWroIugaQ=="
channel_index: 6
1: object
gateway_ids: object
gateway_id: "packetbroker"
packet_broker: object
time: "2021-06-26T15:56:53.578567Z"
rssi: -116
channel_rssi: -116
snr: -5.75

The latency from my PC connected to the same router as my V3 gateway. (Both my application and gateway are deployed in eu1)

1. I have a few other nodes in the area and they are all up (uplink every 20min, consistent) .
    The downlink issue is persistent on all devices I want to send downlinks too (2 different nodes), I have found by chance when I get the node in a position hidden in the back of the yard. So that the RSSI is weak enough that the V2 gateway don’ t receive it, the downlink flow via the V3 gateway.

So I just dumped the node on my laptop, screen of laptop between node and V2 gateway. Well this sufficiently attenuated the RSSI for the V2.

In secession all 5 downlinks RX by the node via the V3 gateway.

( I checked every uplink and it were only via the V3 gateway)

I understand that there’s still confusion about V2-V3 and V3-V2 forwarding, so I just wanted to clarify that:

• Uplinks received by The Things Network V2 clusters are forwarded to The Things Stack V3 clusters for end devices that use V3 DevAddrs (starting with 260B, 260C or 260D)
  • Uplinks received by The Things Stack Community Edition V3 clusters are forwarded to The Things Network V2 clusters for end devices that use V2 DevAddrs (starting with 2600 - 2607)
  • Downlinks in response to these uplinks may be sent through any (V2 or V3) gateway. If multiple gateways received the uplink, the ranking of downlink paths is determinded by network (avoid peering, so prefer current cluster over other cluster) and signal (looking at SNR).
1 Like

@htdvisser

Thank you for your reply.

And what happens to downlink sent from a V3 cluster via a V2 gateway, say the downlink comes in via matt?

That’s what I meant with the 3rd bullet:

Downlinks scheduled to a V3 application may be transmitted through either a V3 gateway or a V2 gateway. Downlinks scheduled to a V2 application may be transmitted through either a V2 gateway or a V3 gateway.

If you look at these downlink messages to the node from a V3 cluster, they only reach the node if I some how have the node only RX from V3 gateway.

I have tried over several days to send these downlinks and they are unsuccessful if a V2 gateway is involved .

But that doesn’t mean that downlinks can come from either - there must be something else in the mix here.

Can we clarify the situation here - is this an actual deployment of a device or is it some testing - because the reality is that v2 gateways will go away over the coming months but still provide coverage for v2 devices so whatever wrinkle it is that stops the v3 gateway being allocated the downlink may well be resolved anyway.

I cant see anything else in the mix, the only change I can see is the V2 gateway.

If I some how shield the V2 gateway the downlink flows, if the V2 is present, no downlink. If you can think of something ells I can test, please tell me a I will gladly.

It is a node I want to deploy, so until I can support it, I can not fully deploy it.

And waiting for the issue to just disappear, is it feasible? No not really

@htdvisser

If I some how shield the V2 gateway the downlink flows, if the V2 is present, no downlink. If you can think of something ells I can test, please tell me a I will gladly.

Was this node migrated from v2?

How does it connect - ABP or OTAA?

If ABP, what is the DevAddr being used?

No

OTAA