Ttnmapper "Online but no coverage mapped yet"

Hi @all
I am new to all this lora-stuff. At the moment I want to map some tracings of my ttnmapper.
I am wondering why I can not see my gateway on the ttnmapper.org main side, but when going to the advanced map and picking only my ttnmapper or only the gateway itself it appears on the map.

Showing the advanced map with the tthmapper node, I can see that it was heard almost by a nother node than mine due to my bad gateway antenna. But my gateway icon is green saying that this gateway is online but no coverage mapped yet. I don’t really understand that message because, when viewing the advanced map, it shows coverag. So what is the point ?

Kind regards

Coverage is about SF7. GW received messages at SF7? Also, you may have to wait 24hours to see the results.

https://ttnmapper.org/faq/

My results are not showing up on the map

New measurements take up to 24 hours to be processed and displayed on the main map. If you want to see if your data is being uploaded, use the advanced map options and filter by your device ID.

It is possible that the gateway that received your packets does not have its location configured. If you know the gateway owner, please ask them to configure it. See “My gateway is not showing on TTN Mapper”. If this is the reason for your measurements not showing, you can check under Advanced Maps, enter your node address, and view the map. If you now see circles without lines connecting them to a gateway, this issue is confirmed.

Did you mark your data as experimental? If so, the data will not show on the main map, but on a separate map containing only your experiment. Please disable experimental mode in the app so that you can contribute to the global map of TTN coverage.

Hi there.

Coverage is about SF7. GW received messages at SF7?

I build a gateway based on the RAK2287 → Semtech SX1302 Based LoRa Concentrator Module RAK2287 - IoT Made Easy

Reading that really short information on that page says "
IIt can detect at any time, any packet in a combination of 8 different spreading factors(SF5 to SF12) and 10 channels, and demodulate up to 16 packets at any time." So the reception at SF7 should not be the case. As I understood the FAQ, SF7 is just a recommendation if the mapping node is in move tue to multipath and signal cancellation. I mad my test on fixed positions so the spreading factor shouldn’t really matter, right ?

I have read the ttnmapper-FAQ before starting any mappings, but:

New measurements take up to 24 hours to be processed and displayed on the main map. If you want to see if your data is being uploaded, use the advanced map options and filter by your device ID.

I understood, that showing the data on the main map can tak up to 24h. But if I want to have a look earlier on the data, I can check if they have been uploaded over the advanced map (so just the displaying can take up to 24h, not the receiving of the data) ??

It is possible that the gateway that received your packets does not have its location configured. If you know the gateway owner, please ask them to configure it. See “My gateway is not showing on TTN Mapper”. If this is the reason for your measurements not showing, you can check under Advanced Maps, enter your node address, and view the map. If you now see circles without lines connecting them to a gateway, this issue is confirmed.

I have set the gateway location in the ttn console and all gateway informations are set to public, too.

Did you mark your data as experimental? If so, the data will not show on the main map, but on a separate map containing only your experiment. Please disable experimental mode in the app so that you can contribute to the global map of TTN coverage.

Meanwhile I can see my gateway on the main map, but still with no mapped connections. I mean the lines between a nodes position and the gateway itself. I don’t understand this behavior because the lines appear when I take a look on the gateway in the Advanced maps.

Is this why you are called @rushzone?

TTN Mapper recommends SF7 so that there is consistency between data.

You are totally at liberty to download your uplinks and process them yourself for Google Maps. But rather than rushing, ensure that your device is being received by your gateway, that your uplink is correctly formatted and then go and get a beer or two.

1 Like

Is this why you are called @rushzone?

Hahah, no! :sweat_smile:

Ok, it seems that the message “… no coverage.” has dissappeard. But…

There are is one more gateway in my neighborhood. Both have received valid location data. I have verified this with the advanced map and the corresponding csv.

So why, when I zoom into the map that I can see both gateways, the one have this nice blue radar beams and one don’t ?

To see my beams I always have to take the detour via advanced maps and then filtering only my node or my device…, see file “beam_filtered.png”!

Can’t say for sure, I have a similar experience with TTNMapper - I suspect that both the server and the web browser suffer under the ever moving feast that is Google Maps and loading lots of data points. For example, the TTN home page stops my browser dead whilst it wraps its head around loading all the gateway info plus I’ve got 600+ tabs open.

1 Like