PCB Design software

Guys,

with so many options out there to design a PCB (both offline and online), i was wondering what everyone is using (if possible mention pros/cons).

Eric

Well, if there are so many options out there, you would expect that they are all in use to some extent.

There are plenty of reviews already out there, for instance;

https://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2017/03/13/pcb-design-software/

Its pesonal choice really, and I guess the response on here will be for people to list their preferance …

Professionally I use Easy-PC, it’s easy to use and has the same look and feel as many others and is not beyond the purse of the average designer if they are making money from the work. But it can get expensive if you want all the best features. But that said there are many options from basic to pro so buy what you want.

I have tried several others such as DesignSpark which looks and feel exactly like Easy-Pc but is free from RS. DesignSpark seems to follow changes made in Easy-PC but some time after they are available in Easy-PC. There are tools for DesignSpark to import component files from the RS site. That makes using components from RS easy to use in DesignSpark and quicker to a finished component & board.

Kicad, is free. Is easy to pick up but I found lacking in features compared to the RS free one DesignSpark. It is still worth a go if you’re on a budget & don’t plan on switching between different PCB programs because using this one will confuse when using others.

I tried Altium for a while but it needed too much time to learn and for some things that are easy in others a nightmare. I gave it 3 months before I dropped it as it took too much work and effort learning the program rather than getting the job done. I dare say that it is an all singng and all dancing program but you have to put the effort in!

Eagle, now I would have thought because of its support, time on the market and the sharing of tools / component files for it that this is the most popular one in use today (that is professional and hobby use combined).
This one is easy to use has plenty of support and people willing to help out when you can’t figure something out. Most tools/add-ons are made for this one before or at least the same time as they are made available for other PCB programs. I believe that the component import tool provided by RS works with this one. Again this one can get expensive if you want the better features.

I have designed PCBs since the early 1970’s and have been a user of PCB programs from the early days of PC’s. Before I had a computer I did them on paper before laying them out using PCB tapes…

So that is my thoughts and only my thoughts. I am bias to Easy-PC because I use it daily and you’ll find others have different thoughts because of their experiences too.

I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Gypo, I 'll stick with Kicad for now.

Just out of curiosity, what were the lacking features? If I don’t need them (and probably I don’t), I have nothing to worry about :wink:

Kind regards,
Eric