On Join Registration

Hi All, was reading through the docs for the ttncli, does anybody have any experience with the on join register function?

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/network/cli/api.html#ttnctl-devices-register-on-join

Is this a support feature & is it something that we should be using? It seems like it would be ideal for provisioning nodes, if it does what I think it does…

Cheers
Adam.

Anyone?? I wouldn’t be asking but there isn’t much information about this feature?

Usage: ttnctl devices register on-join [Device ID Prefix] [AppKey]

Device ID Prefix? what is that derived from? First couple of characters of the devid?

@BoRRoZ and chance you could wave someone in my direction that may have an answer?

Hi Adam,

I don’t have experience with that specific function.
I even don’t know if its functional at this moment.

@johan @htdvisser

Thanks @BoRRoZ, yeah I suspect it might not be working but didn’t know who to tag to ask other than you :slight_smile:

This used to work, but it got broken when we made request validation more strict (github issue).

In any case, doing this is not recommended, and with LoRaWAN 1.1 and our upcoming v3 backend we will no longer be able to provide this feature at all. You should really consider using a more secure device commissioning procedure that generates unique keys for each device, registers the device into the application and flashes the keys into the device (or preferably the device’s secure element).

2 Likes

Thanks for the info :slight_smile: