How to kick start with Microchip RN2903 devices?

I am new to LoRa and LoRaWAN so have some fundamental questions if you can answer:

1- I ordered microchip RN2903 but still confused with their configuration for above experimentation as I could not find any step-by-step process to follow and the manuals provided by Microchip are confusing for me. Any suggestions?
2- Can we use 915MHz nodes (Microchip RN2903) in Europe? As what I have understood, this is a US band and 868MHz is available to use in EU. We want to test the interference of our powercaster transmitters (915MHz, 3W, 1A) with the data transmission so we are planning to check with Microchip 915MHz being in the same band with powercast. is it possible to use them in Europe?

Short answer is no. You can if in a controlled and secure environment wrt RF leakage and polution - so in a faraday cage/RF anechoic conditions…note getting that with LoRa is challenging as I know in early days of testing they had to put an rf cage inside another in order to confirm the sensitivity performance :wink: You should check a) with you local regulator, b) with Microchip & c) with the LoRa-Alliance on how best to approach this or a local test house such as TUV et al. I know there has been a consultation kicked of to look at how parts of what we would refer to as the US915 band (from roughly 902-925) are being considered for a potential harmonisation activity in the future but to best of my knowlege (IANAL) this is still along way off…I believe the consutation is focussed on the upper part of the band as the lower section has significant overlay with UK/EU/EEA Mobile operators…hence if you try and interfere likely you will be tracked down and you will be prosecuted! :scream:

Obviously this needs to be done in controlled conditions anyhow - its not a quick bench top test!..

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. we were initially thinking to make one node as tranmitter and another as receiver both operating in 915MHz and communicating with each other in direct exposure to powercast transmitter to guage the interference of power and data while sharing the same band. But RN2903 are built in LoRaWAN stack and can not be made point to point so we thought to follow the complete architecture to test interference which does not seem possible. what do you mean by controlled environment? As far as I understand we will follow complete architecture from end devices to gateways to network server. Do you see any other way of doing that?

No RF leakage out to or in from the outside world - and that includes outside the test environemnt but still inside your building etc…

IIR you may be able to force module into LoRa test modes - as used for production or compliance tests etc. but that would require deeper reading and understanding of the Microchip module docs (inc some that may not be immediately agvailable in public) and sounds like you are not there yet and you may need microchip app eng assist…But that is outside the scope of the Forum…