Help Setting Up Browan MiniHub Pro Gateway (TBMH110)

Summary
I bought a gateway from a distributor and it looked a lot like the model TBMH100 that I’m used to, but in fact comparing the labels it’s a TBMH110. Setting up my TBMH100 was a “claiming” situation, whereas setting up the TBMH110 is a “registering” situation.

I followed the manual as best I could and configured the LoRaWAN settings (for US915) with the LoRa Packet Forwarder configuration (I haven’t tried Basic Station configuration). One noteworthy exception is that I put in nam1.cloud.thethings.network for the Server Address (whereas the manual says router.us.thethings.network). For channel bandwidth, I selected 500kHz and for channel spread factor I selected SF8 (both these were as pictured in the manual).

I generated API keys that are consistent in privileges to those that were automatically generated for my model TBMH100 unit, but I didn’t see a way anywhere in the TBMH110 Web GUI to put those keys into the configuration of the gateway. When I registered the Gateway in the TTN Console, I used the Gateway ID shown in the TBMH110 LoRaWAN settings of the as the Gateway ID for registration. That ID turns out to be the same as the Gateway EUI on the label, minus the middle “FFFE” and prepended with “0000”.

Then I enabled OTA and punched in my Wi-Fi credentials. The Gateway reset and after some blinking LED behaviors landed on a solid green light, which according to the manual implies “The MiniHub Pro is connected to LNS.” Looking at the TTN Console logs though, I see nothing at all happening there. Whereas my TBMH100 shows regular “Gateway connection statistics” lines coming in, and uplink / downlink traffic when an End Device transmits. So it doesn’t seem like the solid green light is telling the whole story here. What could I be doing wrong?

Hardware
Browan Minihub Pro - Model TBMH110 - full version string (21) TBMH1109150000EC

I’m guessing you’ve followed the instructions on this document: https://www.browan.com/download/PmN/stream

Can you try the Basics Station Mode configuration and let us know?
Packet Forwarder is a legacy mode and is being deprecated.

Yes, I’ve poured over the manual and tried to comply with its instructions as best as I can, but to no avail thus far.

I’m happy to try setting up Basics Station Mode. Do you know where to get / how to create the requisite files to upload to the Gateway, and how to check the boxes and fill out the form for Basics Station Mode with TTN using nam1.cloud.thethings.network?

I worked through this with Browan support, to set up the unit for Basics Station Mode. In order to get it to work, I had to:

1. Generate an API key in TTN Console for the Gateway with the “Link as Gateway to a Gateway Server for traffic exchange, i.e. write uplink and read downlink” permission enabled.
  2. Compose and uploaded a file for the LNS Key to upload into the Gateway - the format of this file is undocumented afaict, and had to be one line like this, where the part after Bearer is the secret that is available at creation time of the API key and X’s are placeholders here:

Authorization: Bearer NNSXS.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. Set the LNS URI in the gateway to wss://nam1.cloud.thethings.network:8887 - again I don’t know how I would have known that this format was required (including the leading wss:// and the trailing :8887
  2. Composed and uploaded a file for the LNS Trust certificate - this was given to me as an email attachment by Browan support.

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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=
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

1 Like

[…hoping others will find posts to this old thread useful]

I have firmware v1.0.14 and found vicatcu’s post helpful…

• I configured my gateway as a LoRa Basics Station, Enable CUPS, setting Type as Regular, I used the CUPS Trust certificate data vicatcu obtained from Browan because the Mozilla pem file failed

• In v1.0.14, I am unable to configure LNS params when I Enable CUPS. As far as I can tell, the gateway obtains the LNS params I have configured from the CUPS server (please correct me if wrong)

Hope this helps someone.