Gateway showing disconnected, packets are rec'd by application

I’ve found one, just wrapping my head around how to put the UK adapter on to the power brick and then I’ll figure out the update thing.

I’m assuming that older firmware won’t work at all so I’ll need to do the SD Card thing.

That’s how it looks to me.

I have trawled the source code (ok it’s later) but it strikes me there should be more debug messages pertaining to the flash procedure and I’m not seeing those.

Do you know what version the firmware.hex is on github? Clutching at straws here. I assume it’s 1.09.

Not much happening with it out the box on v1.0.5.

I have the benefit of owning a PICkit3 so can do a direct update.

And I’m online, having re-installed MPLAB-IPE as recent versions don’t support PICkit3 anymore but thankfully I have a PICkit4.

First flash attempt using the GitHub repro smelt wrong - the only hex file is bootloader.hex - so after some more digging, in the firmware folder is a README.md which provides links to the pre-prepared firmware.

For an SD Card based update, it would look like the first firmware file that is linked is the one to use with the card format, folder & file names detailed.

If the SD Card update doesn’t work, I can check the Microchip SNAP programmer works OK and post that over for you to use. They used to be well under £20 but seems to have mysteriously doubled in price, so no point buying one for a ten minute job. You could also use it to get the other TTKG’s updated.

PS: My serial log has a hash of all FF’s so that’s not an error, just an oddity.

Is this the one I sent you last year? Will check the rest of my stock to see if any others 1.0.5 or 1.0.8 - thought I had latter, but as kept new/unused havent checked all builds…

I can fire one up to see how it gets on over next 24/48hrs if needed - bit busy right now…

Yup, and now I’m a TTKG aficionado.

Don’t do too much on this, we’ve established that older firmware can’t do TLS to get an update and that when updated it works.

We just need to get @bnnorman over the update line and on to success.

Much appreciated.

That’s where I’ve been getting the firmware.hex and checksums from for the SD card. Though the README doesn’t definitively say what the version is. I assume it’s v1.09.

The new loan TTKG I got this morning already has V1.08 and it’s doing an OTA as I type. At least I hope I can finish bnn-ttn-1a so I can view the activity log whilst I debug and look into why bnn-ttn-1 is working but appearing disconnected. It would have been rash to try anything like might have left bnn-ttn-1 dead in the water.

I suspect all the unopened spares the council has are v1.05 so they’ll need reprogramming somehow - though I’m wary of creating bricks.

@descartes Thanks for the offer of the SNAP programmer - I might take you up on that - if it works.
Although I could try to get the council to buy a PICkit4 or SNAP programmer since I have no personal use for one and it would be in their best interests. Mouser has the SNAP at £33.41.

Thank you to everyone for helping out here - perhaps the documentation needs updating so say ‘daemons live here’ or something more helpful like how to program over the earlier gw firmware.

GW bnn-ttn-1a is now showing as connected in the gateway console and the activity log has content. So I can safely investigate why bnn-ttn-1 is disconnected. Maybe I’ll just try re-activating it.

@descartes It seems the PICkit4 and SNAP programmers are out of stock. They are on back order with Mouser and RS Components and quoted as November. So, if you have managed to program a 1.05 to be current then I would be interested in your offer of a loan.

Everyone, good news.

I created a new API key for the bnn-ttn-1 gateway and re-activated it with the new key. The gateway console now shows bnn-ttn-1 as connected and the log is showing gateway status traffic. So now I have two to choose from.

Best Regards
Brian

2 Likes

The SNAP programmer works just like the PICkit4 does, I’ve just re-flashed the TTKG here and it just picked up where it left up, so either are good - the PICkit4 costs more because it can have the code downloaded to it for mobile updates - best to stick to a SNAP.

However SD Card updates, if you’ve got them working, should do the job.

But if you want to borrow the programmer, just PM me.

Good news. I reinstalled the MPLAB IDE s/w from scratch with all options enabled and now it’s programming my first victim. Fingers crossed.

Yep, debug output shows I’ve programmed it as V1.09. Got some work to do tomorrow then.

You are a star for lending me this programmer.

Brian

1 Like

Rock and roll!