Daisy-chaining no-backend gateways to a central backend enabled gateway

Hi all,

Im quite new to LoRaWAN’s so apologies if this is very basic, I couldn’t find any info on forums etc. I’m looking into setting up a network in a remote area of Southern Africa. The topography is particularly challenging and I have estimated I would need at least 3-4 gateways to get full coverage. At our head office we have good reliable internet. I was hoping to setup the other (remote) gateways to forward the packets to the gateway at the office with the internet. Is this possible and what would I need to do in order to set that up?

Also, is it possible to have ‘moving’ gateways that forward data on to static gateways. For example if I could attach a device to an elephant collar so that it picks up packets from nodes within reach and send them on to gateways - is this possible from battery power?

Thank you in advance
Sneages

Hi Sneages,
Starting with your last question first. Gateways listen all the time for transmissions from nodes and need a reliable internet connection to function correctly. They are always on, so they are a bit power hungry. I have seen YouTube presentations about solar powered gateways in the UK. By the time you have a decent sized solar panel, a mast to give the LoraWan antenna some height, and a couple of deep cycle lead acid batteries, they can be delivered on a trailer, but they are more “relocatable” than “portable”.

I think your question about a mesh of ‘moving’ gateways, trying to route packets back to headquarters, from varying locations, is going to difficult if not impossible to achieve.

If you have the budget, head for the high ground. Work out where there are highpoints in your area of interest and see if you can site solar powered gateways there. Check for a mobile signal. There are gateways with an LTE internet connection that may work for you. Otherwise you may need to set up a private point to point backhaul to your headquarters. There are a variety of options from various companies, they needn’t be hugely expensive. Just make sure they are legal in your country.

I’m rural in New Zealand. My ISP delivers their internet using long range point to point wireless devices from hill tops around the district.

Your best results will probably come from using the appropriate tried and tested technology the way it was intended for each part of your communications link.