ABP Device V2 to V3 Migration Issue

What the second item down on your link?

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/reference/data-formats/#uplink-messages

yes i know, but for example: where can i see that if frame_counter is 0 that the key “f_cnt” is not present?

You can’t but if you search the forum, you’ll find that it was it was me that discovered this and you’ll find out why. But basically, if a field is not there, it’s zero or null or empty.

nice, thank you for info. all is working, but was just curious. pavel

Yes and the receiving party has to figure which of those applies :confused: Not sound API design in my book.

Agreed, raised this on GitHub and on here months ago. For some reason it’s viewed as breaking the API if they include the field - which it wouldn’t because we have to code for checking if the field is there and if it isn’t, assume it’s zero. If the field is there and is zero, we’d pick up the value - so no real chance of breaking the API really.

But what would I know, I’ve only been coding 40+ years, Z80 assembly on TRS-80 II, Commodore Pet, BBC Micro, Dragon 32, Sinclair QL using Forth, Mac Plus (which still runs but I can’t find my 20MB SCSI HD, somewhere I still have my Inside Macintosh docs) after that it seems to go down hill with Windows 3.1 and some upstart in Finland usurping my use of Minix on my Amstrad PC that then ran Novell Netware 386 with IBM DB2 as an add-on …

I tell Johan I’ve got the T Shirt’s - over the weekend I ended up wearing one I got from Apple 28 years ago, bit tattered but still viable. Not that I’m not getting old …

1 Like