Pet Tracker platform, is there opensource already?

You do not appear to have added any more information than is available on the marketing page. Look around this forum, it’s full of technical information to enable engineering based decisions to be made. As Jac says, if we want to read the manufacturers spin on something, we can go to their site, what we want to know is how something performs in the real world.

As for replying to a question:

This is not data, this is an entirely subjective opinion with no order of magnitude scale for context. Is it 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month, 1 year? It may well be your idea of a decent battery life is another persons idea of completely useless. Pet tracking aside, mostly we are looking for 2 or 3 years battery life …

@descartes I’m sorry for the trouble and I understand that I should share more details. And coming days, I will test and share more details here and in future post. Thank you.

1 Like

i have two of these, dragged them around, actually testing them in the real world, in my 5 gateways area (i am saying up to 15km away, obviously no hills in the way) they work great

they only send when they are moving, maybe 2-3 hours a day, the battery have lasted from 2023-08-04 to today and the battery are at 61% and 65%, one sending more often uplinks than the other

so make sure the usage area are covered, like any other teck you might use, like gsm

Good info.

Can you put it on a yogurt pot so it is 5cm above the ground in various locations, particularly in bushes and long grass, and record the RSSI/SNR.

Unless they also send occasional resting data/watchdog may not achieve much!
5cm ok for Nicks cat when on collar but would be more interested in say 30-50cm (medium/large dog, sheep pigs etc.), 70-90cm (table/counter/worktop level, on palleted goods etc.)…. Obviously all firmly in Freznel zone influence……and both 120 to 180cm range (back-pack/lanyard/badge for workers, in car dashboard/sun visor level, larger animal stock - cattle, horses, etc., larger asset trackers) hopefully giving some credence to possible real world comparative use cases.

Particularly if not moving because they are injured - which is sort of the point of pet tracking.

Quite :wink:

Since this has turned into a product discussion rather than a discussion about backend-software/middleware, may I toss this out here.

They recently reported new progress in development and fulfillment.

And if you wonder about my original question. I think I can make it work with ThingsBoard, but I don’t like the cost associated.
I have to do some JavaScript back-end coding for work right now, I think I should soon be fit enough to hack up a webhook based backend that works… Perhaps I will go that way.

1 Like

so no lorawan nodes will work in applications where the node is 5cm above the ground, or where the rf travels thru bushes or grass

you get the last location, actually 2 after the last movement, why do you need a whatchdog? and you can set on most of the commercial trackers to send you a location at intervals irrespective if they move or not

I did not say that.

I asked you to measure the RSSI & SNR when it is 5cm above the ground.

Foliage, particularly wet foliage, will reduce the signal strength. As does the wood in trees. And hard rain.

And in all this, there is the Fresnel zone to consider.

I’ve some practical experience tracking things that end up on the ground (preferably) and in tree tops doing High Altitude Ballooning.