Helium Network Comparative Discussion

Thanks @kersing Jac :+1:

1 Like

Is my interpretation correct that the collective of miners form the logical network server in Helium?

Sort of - there is still the encryption termination point at the router, and the router is ultimately where all the LoRaWAN join credentials live. Miners have no ability to decrypt the packets they are passing to various routers.

I’ve retrofitted one of our EU868 gateways (our solar powered system using RAK7294) to Helium, it’s quite simple really - for now just needed a mapping of EU to US frequencies and data rates. I can post the miner code which does the mapping if anyone is interested - or just wait for official support in about 2 months’

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 13.44.19

3 Likes

I am interested, thank you.

@illperipherals I do agree on the incentive piece, at $350 a pop, SF is totally covered while there are only 2-3 working TTN gateways even a Raspi gateway is less than half that of the Helium hot spot. Something must be compelling people to buy into it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi
I will be interested in. I just converted my TTN router to Helium.
I would like to check what options I have.
Thank you

The adverstising video is well done.

But the advert does not seem to be specific about how much you might\could get back to redeem the ‘investment’.

So what is the ‘community’ reporting that they are getting back in ‘tokens’ ?

Anyone know ?

The reddit community has multiple reports. But the number of earned tokens per hotspot is expected to go down as more and more hotspots are deployed. Also, the exchange rate to fiat currencies is fluctuating (as with most blockchain-based coins).

What options did you have in mind? As this is TTN, the options would need to relate to that and as there is close to no coverage in the EU for Helium and it appears to require all sorts of mystery mining & a costly gateway, peering doesn’t seem likely.

I am in Canada. So just curios how I can utilize TTN 902 model with Helium net.

This is the TTN forum. Discussions about reconfiguring hardware for Helium use are not in scope. Please use the Helium forum (assuming they have one) for that purpose.

1 Like

They do. https://community.helium.com/

There is also a discord server, which is very active. https://discord.gg/helium

@asavvin I would not be surprised when smart phones come out for the Helium network and trigger decades long court publicity stunts initiated by the legacy cell carriers :slight_smile:

Nope… not happening.

It’s still a LoRa-based network, which means data rates and volumes orders of magnitude too low for a phone or web browsing.

And it’s still computationally expensive (and thus a power drain) to be a gateway, so you’re not going to see phones in that role either.

3 Likes

I see quite a difference in growth potential between Helium and TTN enfavoure of TTN

Same here. I was following the Helium development for quite a while, was in contact with the core team in the early stage. The idea is amazing, but even if data transfer costs only a few bucks if you can not earn tokens with your own Hotspot: why pay for something when you can connect your device free to TTN. And furthermore, there is still a big price gap between Helium Hotspots and TTN Gateways. In the U.S. there was almost no TTN coverage when they started - In Europe they face a competely different situation.

3 Likes

I find some ideas of Helium inspiring. Over time I expect that current supporters of Helium will learn about alternatives and the potential of those. That will likely cause a landslide at the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

Another downside is that the people have no influence on Helium.inc.

3 Likes

@elidee what do you mean “there was”?? There still isn’t (In the U.S. there was almost no TTN coverage)…? In San Francisco, a city of almost a million there is only 1 TTN gateway, compared to… well a picture speaks more than words I suppose :slight_smile: So “something” or someone, (not Trump I hope) is compelling people to buy into the idea, no? Disagree? Human behavior is the best test of a concept IMHO…

hil ttn

1 Like

Well to be honest, I didn’t check any TTN coverage in the U.S. recently but I was really sure that at least in the high-tech area of California there would be some more interest into the idea of TTN. Doen’t seem to attract them. Maybe it’s due to the fact that there is no shareholder value in sight and Helium is promising revenue…